Health Information Exchange (HIE) - Commonwell
We are pleased to provide our patients the opportunity to participate in the CommonWell network, allowing your participating health care practitioners access to your health information nationwide, regardless of where care occurs.
The CommonWell network provides participating practitioners access to past and present medical information to make better decisions and better coordinate care across your care teams.
How does this help me?
Participating health care practitioners can access your health record.
• CommonWell nationwide connectivity means that your data is more accessible to
• Reduces time spent tracking down your health information providing you faster, better care.
• When enrolled, if you are unable to provide health data, such as in an emergency, your care
team may locate it immediately.
• May save time and the hassle of filling out health history forms when seeing new
Can I see which members of my care team participate in CommonWell?
To view participating provider sites, visit the CommonWell website at:
How Do I Enroll?
• At registration, you will be asked if you would like to be enrolled. If you choose to enroll, a
consent will be obtained and you will be asked to confirm select demographics.
• Once enrolled, a care team member can review your health data from participating locations
where you received care.
What Health Information Will Be Shared?
Records of allergies and drug reactions
• Medication and immunization history
• Transcribed diagnostic and treatment records
• Procedure records
• Record of problems and diagnoses
Is My Data Secure?
Yes. CommonWell takes your privacy and security very seriously. CommonWell does not store any of your health/clinical data and uses end-to-end encryption to help ensure your data is secure when sending data.
Can I Exclude Certain Records From Being Shared?
Yes, records can be excluded on a visit by visit basis. Please discuss this with your care team at your next visit.
Can I Choose Not To Participate?
Yes. Participation is a personal decision you must make. If you opt-out, your health information will not be available through the CommonWell network to other clinicians.
If I Choose Not To Participate, Will It Affect My Ability To Receive Care Here?
Participation is not a condition for receiving care. However, if you opt-out, it may affect the information available to your care team when receiving care.
Whichever decision I make, can I later change my mind?
Yes. If you decide to remain enrolled now, but later change your mind and want to opt-out, you can contact the registration department at your enrolling facility to do so.